Sunday, August 07, 2005

One hour before getting a job

Hey guys... first time bloggeer.. and testing it so
posting an unedited artical... which i have on my
laptop..
however its a intresting story.. so go ahead and read
it...
p.s. please pardon the spelling and other grammertical
mistakes.......

Things have to go wrong in the most unexpected way
with me.. However they have never cost me anything….
So its 1:00pm on 27th July 2005. And I had received a
call from Mr. Francisco the manager of Cello-Pack one
day back that we shall like to hire you.. But no
details where reviled and was called at 2:00 pm on
27th.
So here I was relaxing in 90 Cornell and starting to
get ready to go to Cello-Pack. I had already been to
the company a couple of times and the route was now
familiar to me.. Hence though will leave by 1:35 and
shall reach there easily.

At 1:30 I could not stop myself from leaving the
house.. and I opened Chandresh’s Car door. And tried
to unlock the other door using the leaver on the main
door which is battery operated. But to my surprise it
was not working… so I said to me leave it and let’s
go…
Now I am trying to turn the keys but can’t here the
usual starting sound …. At this moment I though boss..
kuch locha hai……..
Suddenly my left arm fell on the leaver on left hand
side of the steering which is used to switch on and
off the lights… And I realized that I had abandoned
the car with the lights on the rainy morning. And I
realized that I was in deep shit…. There is no way to
reach the company without a Car...

I called Medha to inquire if Kavita was around and
they could help me by giving me a lift to the company.
But Medha was not exactly sure when she will meet
Kavita…

Again I though whom should I call…. AND A BULB IN MY
MIND “REDDY’
Thus I called Reddy. Explained him the situation. But
he had to take someone to the driving test in couple
of minutes. So he could not help….

As I am thinking about all this…. My phone started to
ring… it was Hemal…..
As usual in his casual manner he asks me… “ Shu thayu
company ma” (what happened at thee company} .. I
explained him that leave the company aside there is a
problem of even reaching there….. So I told him talk
to you later… and cut off his phone…..

It is not good practice to call up the company and let
them know that I can’t come today.. And the anxiety
about what shall be my package was so high that I was
in no mood to postpone my meeting to next day…..

After doing some analysis… and thinking “ shu pharak
pade” (what difference does it make? I called the
company and told the receptionist over there that my
car broke down. And I shall be late….. (Very
unprofessional of me but did not have any option….)

Soon after this I was thinking of who can help me in
this situation…. And Janghir is one person with lots
of resource…. Thus I called him…. Maybe his minutes
problem or something else he did not pick up my
phone…. And I was I no mood to leave a message…. So I
hang up… After a couple of minutes…. Janghir called
from his home phone.. whose number is not stored in my
phone… so I did not recognize that it was Janghir. And
first though it was a call from Cello-Pack…. ( Dimag
works in wrong directions only at crunch situation)

I did not tell Janghir that I am going to discuss an
offer and told him I have an interview… so he advised
me leave everything and catch a cab…… quickly he
looked up on the internet and gave me three phone nos.
of different cab companies…..

Now at this stage I did not even knew what kind of
offer the company was going to make…… and before that
only kharch karna padega…. However once again not
doing much analysis I called the cab..

Now I even did not have cash with me… Luckily as I was
leaving in the Cab I remembered that I need cash and
credit card shall not work over here……. So I asked the
cab driver to pull over to the HSBC ATM……

Now the journey starts….. And my eyes are stuck on the
meter only.. Which I always feel is running very fast
then it should….. (Generally feeling!!!)
In between Medha calles that she is with Kavita and
they can come and drop me off at the company.. However
it was too late.. so I asked her to see if they can
come to pick me up…..
Sandy was there and he agreed to come and pick me up……

I reached the company and finally the meter stopped
ticking….. At this time I was still on the phone
only….. Finally I paid $ 35 and though how uselessly I
am spending money… The offer by the company better be
nice….
Now it was a rainy day… though I was dressed properly
the rain droplets had made a mark on my nicely ironed
shirt…. ….
I told to myself forget everything and let’s move in….

Inside the company also.. The manager first made me
feel comfortable… and then keep on talking about what
kind of responsibilities and other stuff I shall have
to do….

Still no talks about the package………

After about half and hr of all commitment talks he
finally took out two sheets of paper from a cover and
told me we are making you an offer which was good
enough………

At that moment I felt yes the 35$ of taxi were
worth……………….

Thus as usual…. In my life there is always comedy in
tragedy….. and vice versa…. And the same thing happed
here also…..

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeetal said...

i remember Mahima recently had the same problem with her car, and she could not open the car, and thought there was something wrong with the car's security system. coincidentally, she was also getting late to her relatively new place of work.

anyway, always keep the number of a friend who has a car, and jumper cables too.

Monday, August 08, 2005 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger purvins said...

mr. shan tan.. its not a katha.. its an unedited version....
kaushal asked me to post something from mail so what ever came up from my personal docs.. i uploded it...
welll the best part is you did read the katha!!!!!!!!!

so thanks dude...


jet next time i will call you up.... dont worry.....

-purvin

Monday, August 08, 2005 8:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home